Wednesday 30 January 2008

Enter the Lightroom


I've been a committed RAW user for nearly as long as I've had my DSLR. Back in college I spent more than my fair share of time in the dark room and loved the creative options processing my own B&W photos gave me. For me RAW is the digital negative and the opions for digital postprocessing far exceed those available to me in the chemical days. I got Canon's Digital Photo Professional with my DSLR (a 20D) and it has been my raw converter of choice ever since. The updates to it over recent years have added many great features and when I tried the Lightroom beta this time last year, although I was impressed there were enough bits missing that I didn't buy in. A year on I figured it was time to look at LR again, as just for good measure I got the latest update of DPP to see how it was keeping pace. Long story short Lightroom 1.3 has come on in leaps and bounds wereas DPP 3.2 simply moves some features (in good way) around and adds some new stuff that sounds great but doesn' support my 20D. Sadly this is not enough and as of now I'm switching. LR simply has more sliders, more options - just more creative options! Its workflow is different from DPP and I'm getting used to that, soon I think I will be quicker, stronger, better in Lightroom. I often have several hundred shots to process from a day's shooting at a conference or whatever so workflow is really important but I'm sure LR can deliver. Below are 3 version of the same photo:


above: Unchanged

above: DPP - just couldn't get what I was looking for

above: LR - yay!

No comments: